October Global Macro Monthly & Investment Strategy - Into the bleak, debt winter
- The pandemic is resurgent across many countries, with Europe re-emerging as a hotspot and cases rising again in the US. Social restrictions are rising across Europe again.
- Q3 looks likely to post a strong rebound across most economies. However, even before the close of Q3, momentum appeared to be fading.
- Fiscal authorities have in the main expanded policy to accommodate the return of the virus. However, UK policy is reduced and stalled stimulus discussions in the US have caused a hiatus here.
- Risks point to a softer Q4. The outlook for 2021 is falling globally and risks are skewed to further weakness.
- Equity markets face a clouded near-term outlook and positive earnings momentum has stalled. Credit sees some protection from central banks covering around one-third of IG credit.
This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment research or financial analysis relating to transactions in financial instruments as per MIF Directive (2014/65/EU), nor does it constitute on the part of AXA Investment Managers or its affiliated companies an offer to buy or sell any investments, products or services, and should not be considered as solicitation or investment, legal or tax advice, a recommendation for an investment strategy or a personalized recommendation to buy or sell securities.
It has been established on the basis of data, projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypothesis which are subjective. Its analysis and conclusions are the expression of an opinion, based on available data at a specific date. All information in this document is established on data made public by official providers of economic and market statistics. AXA Investment Managers disclaims any and all liability relating to a decision based on or for reliance on this document. All exhibits included in this document, unless stated otherwise, are as of the publication date of this document. Furthermore, due to the subjective nature of these opinions and analysis, these data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypothesis, etc. are not necessary used or followed by AXA IM’s portfolio management teams or its affiliates, who may act based on their own opinions. Any reproduction of this information, in whole or in part is, unless otherwise authorised by AXA IM, prohibited.
This document has been edited by AXA INVESTMENT MANAGERS SA, a company incorporated under the laws of France, having its registered office located at Tour Majunga, 6 place de la Pyramide, 92800 Puteaux, registered with the Nanterre Trade and Companies Register under number 393 051 826. In other jurisdictions, this document is issued by AXA Investment Managers SA’s affiliates in those countries.
In the UK, this document is intended exclusively for professional investors, as defined in Annex II to the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive 2014/65/EU (“MiFID”). Circulation must be restricted accordingly.
© AXA Investment Managers 2020. All rights reserved